Monday, August 13, 2012

Compassion/Lecture

Yesterday in the night around 8pm, I saw Varun working on something (a project) which he was supposed to submit today. He had known about it in the weekend and when we spoke about it..he gave an impression that he was in control and was clear with what he had to do.
Now, he seemed upset. He called me over and told me,' I have so much to do. I don't have pictures. I took some xeroxes but I forgot to take the other book for xerox. Oh God! how am I going to finish this'
I could see he was upset and ideally this would be a great opportunity to let him know about planning/taking it easy etc:-))
I saw him as a person who was feeling overwhelmed and did not require chiding/advises/suggestions. I told him,' You are overwhelmed right now. How would you like me to help you?'
He was quiet for a second and said,' I don't know'
I asked him,' Would you like me to go and get the pictures xeroxed for you'
He said,' That would be nice'
I went and got the xerox for him (luckily the shop is inside our complex). By the time I came back he had worked on the project ..before he slept he completed part of it... got up in the morning and completed the whole thing :-))
Just thinking back would my lecture have made a difference? 

No comments:

Post a Comment