Monday, June 4, 2012

Coping Strategies

She was just 5yrs or maybe 6. Whenever things were a little uncomfortable around her, maybe she got scolded or something happening which she could not understand she felt scared, she would say,' Ninni aa rahi hai' (feeling sleepy) and go and sleep. Hoping that things would have changed by the time she got up. This strategy worked for her so much that now she is thirty nine years old and even now when things get a little overwhelming or there is something which she finds hard to deal with she goes and sleeps it off. This strategy might have worked when she was 5 but now most of the time it doesn't because she has to work it out and deal with it. Yep ! That's  'ME'
I realised that when I am in total confusion as to what to do I use this strategy. Many a times I go to sleep wishing that the issue would just go away. It is not surprising that nothing goes away till I mull over it and work it out. It is like I am wearing the same dress I wore when I was 5yrs old . Can it fit? Of course it can't. Does this awareness help in changing the way I work? Maybe not completely, but I am aware now that I am choosing to use this strategy to cope with an issue right now.. but it is not the end and I have to do something about it :-))
All of us have our own coping strategies, it is important too as it helps us to have a balance and helps us to deal with issues around us. Awareness helps to understand that it cannot be used in the same form all the  time.Awareness also helps in looking at different options on how to deal with an issue. Of course the choice is ultimately ours.
So, what is your coping strategy???

No comments:

Post a Comment