Friday, February 11, 2011

Awareness

Yesterday, I told all of you about varun's dilemma whether to take his beyblade tip to school or not for exchanging it with his friend. I did not give him any answer but had just asked him what the rule was at school and left it.

In the evening while talking varun tells me Venkatesh gave me the tip. I asked him but you had to give him yours. He just smiled and said,' Yes, I took it . Teacher did not know.. sorry.'

My thoughts at that moment:

1. He knew what the rule is but he decided to do what he wanted.

2. This might become a habit with him

3. I allowed him freedom and is he misusing it?

The feelings which came out of these thoughts:

Anxious, Concerned, fear

Are these feelings founded on facts or beliefs?

After checking I realised that the thoughts were all beliefs. I also realised that the fact was that he had openly told me about it (he had been honest about it ..if he had kept quiet I would not have even known about it)

Now what were the options I had: I could ignore/ I could tell him I did not like what he did/ I could make him aware of his choice/I could give a piece of my mind etc

My response: 'You decided to take the tip though you were aware that the teachers would not like it''

His response: 'yes' and the conversation ended there.

I have without being judgemental about it and pushing my thoughts on to him communicated to him that it was his decision and he is responsible for his actions. I am not sure whether this is ok or not but this process helped me be more aware of myself :-)

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pointing out mistakes is not wrong. It is the way mistakes are pointed that matters most. If parents are submissive children may get pampered but if they are aggressive children may become nervous and start hiding the truth from us. Politeness in tone is the symbol of love for children. Hug the child when you scold them so they feel that your love for them is not lost.

    Children are very sensitive human beings. Parents are like potters, having children as clay in their hands and their emotions are like the kiln used for firing pottery. If the temperature is too low the clay will not take correct shape and if the temperature is too high the pottery will break. Likewise, parents must use the right temperament to mould a child into proper form.

    ReplyDelete